Your plumbing system is complex, and some people may not realize the damage they could be putting their plumbing system through, but here at Nebrasky our goal is to help and inform. Here are 5 different household items that can cause damage to your plumbing system:
- Trash. Items such as glass, metal, plastic and paper are a major problem when it comes to damaging your plumbing system. Trash can enter your pipes through toilets, drains and garbage disposals. Your drain is not a trashcan and these blockages can lead to bigger plumbing issues down the road.
- Grease. If grease is poured down the drain, this can cause major issues to your plumbing system. Grease tends to build up in your pipes and this can eventually lead to drainage problems that will need repairs.
- Liquid drain cleaners. While these drain cleaners are advertised as a “quick fix,” in reality, the harsh chemicals can cause damage to your plumbing system. Also, these drain cleaners do not always solve the problem and need to be used multiple times the majority of the time to get the job done.
- Tree roots. Surprisingly enough, tree roots can cause severe damage when it comes to your plumbing system. Over time, tree roots inch their way into your pipes and can cause drainage problems. The repair for these types of issues can be costly and harmful. To avoid having any complications with tree roots, avoid planting greenery too close to a lateral line, select plants that grow slowly and replace shrubs and small trees every couple of years.
- Hair. Hair down a shower drain is always a messy situation. Although this usually causes minimal damage on its own, if the combination of grease and trash comes into play, it can cause a serious blockage within your plumbing system.
These are just some tips and tricks to keep in mind when it comes to keeping your plumbing system in good shape. If you have any issues with your plumbing system or have any questions, give Nebrasky a call at 800.989.0299.