A recent piece by 6sqft describes New York prior to the invention of air conditioning – a time which ranged from very uncomfortable to even deadly. Practical New Yorkers have always found ways to cope with the summer heat despite a lack of A/C – from sleeping outdoors to swimming in bodies of water to cool down. We can’t imagine living under such conditions, and now possess an even stronger appreciation for our air conditioning units. In these last weeks of summer, with temperature and humidity levels still high, it is important to make sure you’re getting the most out of your home cooling system.
Here are 5 tips to get the most out of your air conditioning unit at no cost:
1. Keep air moving in your home with fans. When heat rises, your air conditioner works harder to compensate. Ceiling fans will help to prevent the rising heat.
2. Keep your vents clean from dust and debris. When vents are blocked, airflow efficiency is reduced.
3. Keep heat-producing appliances at a distance. These appliances give your thermostat a false temperature reading, causing your system to run longer and work harder. In addition, avoid using your dryer and oven during the middle of the day when temperatures are highest, as these machines will add warm air to your home.
4. Be sure ductwork is properly sealed to avoid leaking cool air.
5. Keep curtains and blinds closed during the day. Direct sunlight can warm the inside of your home and cause your system to overcompensate.
Whether you need simple maintenance, repair or an entire installation of a new, energy efficient cooling system, call us today at 1-800-989-0299. We offer a wide selection of energy smart, high quality systems and professional installation.